Monday, May 7, 2012

Projects in Progress...

Living in the 'burbs causes a constant struggle between doing the things that NEED to be done on the weekends (i.e. laundry, yard work, house cleaning, etc.) and the things that I WANT to do on the weekends (i.e. paint furniture, shop, and sleep in). Ugh.

I did manage to spend Sunday afternoon tackling a few projects that I had left lingering...I'm a procrastinator. So what.

I finished refurbishing this window pane that I snagged from my in-laws. Their shed/basement/garage is seriously a treasure-trove of great stuff. They may have to check my trunk every time I leave their house! My original idea was to make this window into a mirror. But I think that may be a bit ambitious. I removed the window panes (tedious  job!), then applied a coat of ASCP in Old White and finished with a brown-glaze. I think am going to hang it above the console table as part of the "gallery wall" (a work in progress). I may tweak it a bit by distressing it more...



I bought this frame on clearance at Home Goods. It was a hideous shade of metallic dark grayish black, blah (no before picture, shame on me!). But I saw the potential in this ugly guy....so I snatched him up and painted it with ASCP in Paris Gray, distressed a bit and finished with clear wax. So much better!


And I couldn't WAIT to tackle this next project. I will spare you any description and will let the "before" photo speak for itself. 

Frightening, right?!

This is quite possibly THE scariest wooden tray ever. My mom picked it up for me at her local thrift store. She's always on the look-out for things for me to refurbish. I think she was challenging my makeover skill with this one...seriously. 

Thank god for ASCP. I painted the tray first with a coat of Old White and then Paris Gray. This project is not complete yet, but here is what it looks like so far:


This was my first forte into stenciling so please ignore the fact that they are not straight. I still need to distress a bit, plus it still needs something else....thoughts? I'm stumped. Maybe a stripe of Old White along the handles or perimeter?


To be continued....

6 comments:

VANESSA said...

wow! the AFTER is so much better then the BEFORE!!! great DIY! your blog is great... would you like to follow each other?!

xxo, vanessa

http://fashiongalfireman.blogspot.com/

Erika said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog Vanessa! I am your newest follower...love your blog and your style!

Mo (New on U) said...

I love all of your stuff! Your house must be so freaking cute. I think white around the perimeter of the tray would look fantastic!

Erika said...

Thanks Mo! I actually painted the white around the perimeter last night and I like it! Now I just have to fix the terrible stencil job...to be continued!

Susan said...

I just found your blog from your comment on mine!! :) I LOVE this stuff! I have two window frames that I put up on my mantle. I think they add quite a bit of flare. And those bears were hilarious! Nice "meeting" you! Newest follower here!

Erika said...

Thanks Susan! Happy to welcome you as my newest follower :)